Bowl of Bhaja Muger Dal and Rice
This wholesome, easy-to-make dish combines the tempting flavors of Bhaja Muger Dal (Roasted Yellow Moong Dal) and Basmati Rice in a single bowl. This low-calorie Bengali Veg recipe promotes healthy eating that does not compromise the taste. Boosting your protein intake, the dal offers an earthy, soup-like texture that pairs perfectly with the aromatic and long-grained Basmati rice. Ideal for a quick lunch or dinner, expected to indulge in a comforting and health-packed meal.
1. 1/2 cup Bhaja Muger Dal (Roasted yellow moong dal)
2. 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
3. 1 chopped Tomato
4. 1 chopped Onion
5. 2 Green Chillies
6. Salt to taste
7. 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
8. 2 tsp vegetable oil
9. 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
10. 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
11. 2 Dry Red Chillies
12. Freshly chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1. Rinse the bhaja muger dal and basmati rice till the water runs clear. Soak both for approximately 30 minutes.
2. In a pan, heat the vegetable oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and dry red chillies. Allow them to crackle.
3. Add chopped onions and green chillies in the pan and sauté until onions are soft.
4. Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until they soften.
5. Drain off water and add the soaked bhaja muger dal and basmati rice to the pan, stirring it in the sautéed onions and tomatoes.
6. Add turmeric powder, salt and pour 3 cups of water. Allow it to simmer on medium heat.
7. Cover the pan and cook until the dal becomes soft and the rice is fully cooked, ensuring that they are not mushy.
8. Check the salt and adjust according to your taste.
9. Transfer the cooked bhaja muger dal and basmati rice to a bowl.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy this Bowl of Bhaja Muger Dal and Rice packed with flavours that will remind you of the Bengali home-cooking. The dish provides a perfect balance of nutrients and keeps you satiated for a long time, without increasing your calorie count. Sprinkle a dash of ghee for added aroma and flavor.