Coconut Lentil Delight Bowl
Craving for a light and healthy yet flavorsome meal? This Coconut Lentil Delight has got you secured! A South Indian staple, its base is formed with lentils and rice which packs a punch of protein and carbs. The lentils and veggies are simmered on low heat in a rich coconut milk, rendering the dish its creamy consistency. Zesty lemon and aromatic curry leaves mingle with the simmering broth, upping its flavor profile. Cooked with minimal oil, the calorie count is kept low. Best served hot, nothing beats this delectable, nutrient-packed enchantment!
– 1/2 cup Yellow Lentils (Toor dal)
– 1 cup cooked Rice
– 2 cups mixed Veggies (carrots, beans, peas, cauliflower, etc)
– 2 cups Coconut Milk (Thin consistency)
– 1 Lemon’s juice
– Few Curry leaves
– 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
– 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
– Salt to taste
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Rinse the lentils under cold water until water runs clear. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, cook until seeds splutter.
3. Add mixed veggies, sauté for 2 minutes. Then, add lentils and turmeric. Stir well.
4. Pour coconut milk, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes till lentils are cooked and veggies are tender.
5. Stir in the cooked rice ensuring each grain is coated with the sauce. Cook for 2 more minutes on low heat.
6. Turn off the heat, squeeze lemon juice, mix well.
7. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot as it is, or with a side of yogurt. Enjoy!
This one-bowl dish is an ode to the richness of South Indian flavors, with a host of essential nutrients, yet light and in a controlled calorie count. The simple and straightforward recipe makes it ideal for anybody to try, inviting the taste and health of India to their joy of cooking!