Moong Dal Khichdi
If you’re looking for a wholesome healthy meal, Moong Dal Khichdi is a great choice. This one-pot recipe is packed with proteins from dal and the goodness of vegetables. It’s a super simple dish to prepare, uses common Indian kitchen ingredients and it’s easy on the stomach. Moreover, it can be easily modified as per your calorie requirement. It’s not just a delicious meal, but also one that keeps you full for a long time, without tipping the calorie scale. Let’s gather our ingredients and dish out this warm comforting recipe!
– 1/4 cup Moong Dal (rinsed)
– 1/4 cup Brown Rice (rinsed)
– 1 chopped Carrot
– 1 chopped Tomato
– 1 chopped Green Bell Pepper
– 1/4th teaspoon Turmeric Powder
– Salt to taste
– 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
– 1/2 tbsp Oil
– 2 cups of water
Steps to make:
1. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
2. To this, add the choppped vegetables, salt, and turmeric powder. Sauté the ingredients on a medium flame for a few minutes.
3. Next, add the rinsed moong dal and brown rice to the cooker.
4. Add 2 cups of water and mix well.
5. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on high heat. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, fluff it gently.
7. Serve it hot.
This nutritious meal is perfect for lunch or dinner. The hint of cumin and the fresh vegetables do wonders to elevate the flavours of the staple dal and rice mix. It’s light, delicious, and very satisfying. You will enjoy this simple yet nourishing meal and will be proud of yourself for making such a hearty meal using common ingredients in a jiffy.