Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Khichdi
Savor the unique flavors of Rajasthan with our Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Khichdi, a wholesome one-bowl delight. This vegetarian dish marries protein-rich lentils and a variety of fresh vegetables with a blend of classic Indian spices. With a calorie count of just under 200, it’s not just tasty, but also fits perfectly into your health-conscious meal plan. Experience an unfiltered, rustic taste of Indian cuisine right from your own kitchen with this easy-to-cook recipe. Don’t hold back, explore your culinary skills and let’s get cooking!
– 1/2 cup yellow Moong dal
– 1/2 cup Basmati rice
– 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans)
– 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
– 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
– A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
– 1/2 tsp Ghee
– Salt to taste
1. Rinse the moong dal and basmati rice well under cool water. Soak them in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat the ghee. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the cumin seeds start to crackle, add the chopped vegetables. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Drain the water from the moong dal and rice, and add them to the pressure cooker.
4. Add turmeric powder, salt and two cups of water. Mix well.
5. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
6. Your Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Khichdi is ready to be served hot.
Note: You can adjust the water content as per the consistency you prefer. The more water you add, the more soupy your khichdi will be. You may also use a ghee substitute if you’re vegan. Enjoy this comforting dish on a lazy Sunday, or make it a part of your regular meal rotation for a lighter, healthier option!
Additional Nutrition Info:
Proteins – 6.5 g
Carbohydrates – 27 g
Calories – 180
Fat – 3.2 g
Fiber – 4.1 g
Sodium – 85.3 mg
Cook time: 25 minutes