Spiced Sorghum Stir-Fry Bowl
Swap your regular white rice with nutritious sorghum, fry them with traditional Indian spices, and mix with a hearty assortment of vegetables to get this delicious and wholesome Maharashtrian dish. This is a great one-bowl meal that is flavorful, filling, yet calorie-light. To round off the meal, add a side of cucumber-tomato Raita, keeping you fresh and satisfied. The lightness and health benefit of this dish will help you feel energised without weighing you down.
1) 1 cup sorghum (Jowar)
2) 2-3 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, bell pepper, cauliflower)
3) 2 green chillies
4) 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
5) 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6) Salt as per taste
7) 1 tablespoon of garam masala
8) 1 tomato
9) 1 cucumber
10) 1 cup plain yogurt
11) Fresh coriander leaves
1) Cook sorghum as per instructions on the package. Make sure it’s cooked well but not mushy.
2) In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add the green chillies and chopped vegetables. Cook till veggies are tender.
3) Add cooked sorghum to the pan and mix. Season with garam masala and salt.
4) In a bowl, combine diced tomatoes and cucumber with yogurt. Season with salt.
5) Pour the stir-fried sorghum and veggies onto a bowl and serve with a side of refreshing cucumber-tomato Raita.
This dish is the perfect balance of flavorful spices and refreshing Raita. The cereal goodness of sorghum, combined with vegetables, offers a powerhouse of nutrients. So, not only does this dish serve your palette rightly, but also caters to your health needs. Dive into this masterpiece of Maharashtrian cuisine, where health meets taste, and enjoy a dish you’re bound to fall in love with. Savor each spoonful of goodness, and trust us; you will find yourself preparing it more often!