Moong Dal Khichdi
Satisfy your comfort food cravings without any guilt with this filling low-calorie Gujarati dish, Moong Dal Khichdi. This delicious one-bowl meal brimming with the nourishment of lentils and rice stands true to the inherent simplicity of Gujarati cuisine. It is a perfect recipe to prepare when you’re looking to prepare a quick, healthy meal with just a few ingredients.
1. 1/4 cup of Moong Dal
2. 1/4 cup of Basmati Rice
3. 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
4. Salt to taste
5. 2 teaspoons of Oil
6. 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
7. 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
8. 500 ml Water
1. Rinch the rice and dal, soak it for about 15 minutes and drain.
2. Heat oil in a pot and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida.
3. Add the soaked and drained moong dal and rice into the pot. Stir for a minute until mixed well.
4. Add turmeric powder and salt to your taste.
5. Pour in water and let the mixture come to a boil.
6. Cover and simmer until both the dal and rice are cooked well, stirring occasionally.
7. Turn off the heat, let the khichdi rest for few minutes.
8. Serve hot with curd or pickle, savour this simple yet wholesome Indian dish.
The aroma of spices, along with the delightful flavors of rice and dal, make this dish an irresistible meal. You’ll surprise yourself and your family with how something so simple can be so satisfying. It’s time to enjoy homely food made with lots of love and minimal effort!