Dalma with Rice
This wholesome Oriya dish is a perfect choice for those seeking a satisfying, flavorful yet low-calorie meal. Combining the goodness of lentils (dal) with a variety of vegetables and a hearty serving of rice, the Dalma with Rice is an incredibly balanced one-bowl meal. Spiced with traditional Indian spices, it comes laden with flavors that’ll warm your heart and please your palate. This vegan one-pot meal is not only packed with protein and fiber but also low in calories. You can easily prepare it with ingredients available in your kitchen. So why wait? Let’s delve into the aromas of Oriya cuisine and cook up a nutritious storm in the kitchen!
– 1/4 cup Toor Dal (Pigeon Pea Lentils)
– 1/4 cup Rice
– Mixed vegetables (1/2 cup diced Pumpkins, 2 small Brinjals, 1 small Potato, 1 small Carrot)
– 1 medium sized Tomato, chopped
– 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
– Salt to taste
– 1-2 Green Chillies, slit
– 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
– 3 cups Water
– 2 tsp Oil
– 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
– 2 Dry Red Chillies
– A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
– Few Curry Leaves
1. Rinse the toor dal and rice under running water until the water runs clear.
2. In a pressure cooker, combine the washed dal, rice, diced vegetables, chopped tomato, green chillies, turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
3. Pour in three cups of water and mix well. Lock the lid in place and cook until three to four whistles.
4. Once the pressure releases naturally, open the cooker and mash the dal and rice mixture lightly.
5. Now prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add dry red chillies, hing, and curry leaves.
6. Pour this tempering over the cooked dal and rice mixture. Stir well to combine.
7. Your Dalma with Rice is ready to serve hot. One serving of this flavorful and nutritious Indian bowl would roughly contain 450 calories.
Enjoy this simple yet hearty one-bowl meal, flavored with the simplicity and soulfulness of Oriya cuisine. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or a leisurely weekend lunch!