Gujarati Khichdi in a Bowl
This easy and simple Gujarati Khichdi in a Bowl recipe brings you the most comforting food with exotic flavours of India and good health. A delightful blend of rice, lentils and staple kitchen spices, cooked to perfection with traditional Gujarati methods, promises to transport you to the heart of Gujarat ensuring you relish the authentic taste. Requiring only a few minutes of your busy schedule, this protein and fibre rich meal will not just satisfy your taste buds but also make you feel warm and cozy in no time. So, switch your chef mode on and get ready to fill your kitchen with the aromatic flavours of this Gujarati Khichdi in a Bowl.
– 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
– 1/2 cup Moong Dal (Green Split Moong Lentils)
– 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
– 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
– 2 tbsp Ghee
– Salt to taste
1. Rinse rice and lentils together under cold water until water runs clear, soak them for 30 minutes.
2. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add hing and turmeric, sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the soaked and drained rice-lentil mixture to the cooker and sauté on medium heat for about 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Add about 3 cups of water along with salt as per taste, mix well, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
5. Allow the steam to escape naturally before opening the lid.
6. Give the Khichdi a nice mix and if required adjust the consistency by adding warm water.
7. Serve hot in a bowl, garnishing with a spoonful of ghee if desired.
Allow this Gujarati Khichdi in a Bowl to swoon you over with its simplicity, making it perfect not just for lunch or dinner, but as a comforting meal at any time of the day. After all, a bowl of Khichdi is satisfying, nourishing, and best for those lazy or busy days when you crave homely food, but do not want to spend long hours in the kitchen. This recipe embodies the very essence of comfort food, making it a must-try Indian dish. And, the best part is it’s all served in one bowl, ensuring you get the complete spectrum of flavours and nutrients in every spoonful.+