Gujarati-Style Chicken Khichdi
Gujarati-Style Chicken Khichdi is a delightful one-bowl comfort food with tender pieces of chicken and fluffy rice, vibrantly flavored with a mixture of spices. Whether you are running on a tight schedule or just require some easy and healthy comfort food, Gujarati-Style Chicken Khichdi is your answer. It’s convenient, quick and flexible, depending on what you have in your pantry. Enjoy it with a dollop of ghee for that added warmth and richness. It’s a 100 calories per serving dish that’s as easy as it is flavorful and fulfilling.
1. Add 50g boneless chicken pieces to a bowl with a pinch of turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottomed pot. Add 2-3 cloves, a piece of cinnamon and 2-3 black peppercorns.
3. Add one finely chopped onion and saute till it becomes soft and translucent.
4. Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook till they become white.
5. Add 1/4 cup of washed and soaked basmati rice to the cooker.
6. Add enough water to cook the rice and chicken (usually a 1:2 ratio of rice to water).
7. Add salt to taste and mix well. Cover the cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles (or approximately 15-20 minutes without a pressure cooker).
8. Allow the steam to escape, then open the cooker and fluff up the khichdi.
9. Serve hot and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Enjoy your Gujarati-Style Chicken Khichdi which is low on calories and high on taste.
Remember to adjust the quantities of the ingredients to suit your dietary needs and taste preferences.