Kolhapuri Chicken Rice Bowl
Brief: This easy-to-make, delightful and spicy Kolhapuri Chicken Rice bowl is a complete meal in itself. This authentic Maharashtrian dish provides a perfect blend of succulent chicken pieces cooked in a spicy, rich Kolhapuri curry serviced over aromatic, steamed basmati rice. This recipe within 401- 500 calories makes this an enticing meal option for those watching their weight. If you are a food lover and enjoy Indian spices with a hint of southern flavors, this dish will truly tantalize your taste buds with different textures and flavors. Savor the taste of this one-bowl of Maharashtrian delight at the comfort of your home.
1 cup basmati rice (washed and soaked)
Salt to taste
For Kolhapuri Chicken:
500 gm chicken pieces
1 tablespoon Oil
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 cups water
Salt to taste
1. Cook 1 cup of basmati rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt till it’s 70% cooked. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
2. Take a pan, add oil. Once it heats up add chicken pieces to it. Cook it until it turns slightly brown.
3. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and cumin powder to it. Mix it well so that the chicken pieces are coated with the spices.
4. Cook this on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until the chicken is done. Ensure to stir it at regular intervals so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
5. Finally, add water and salt as per your taste. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the water reduces to your desired consistency.
6. Once done, ladle the Kolhapuri chicken over the partially-cooked rice in the bowl.
7. Cover the bowl and microwave it for 2-3 minutes on high or till the rice is fully cooked.
This spicy, flavorful Kolhapuri Chicken Rice Bowl is ready to serve. Pair this with raita or just as it is, either way, it’s delicious. Enjoy your homemade, authentic Maharashtrian non-veg bowl.