Fan of South Indian cuisine and on a calorie-check? This Masala Khichdi is your key to a healthy, low-calorie and yet a satisfying meal. With under 400 calories, this heartwarming dish is swarmed with flavors, reviving the authentic touch from South India. It contains moong dal and rice making it a protein powerhouse yet light on the stomach. The blend of vegetables packs the dish with vital vitamins and minerals. This easy-to-cook dish would be a perfect pick for your dinner. All set? Let’s dive into the recipe!
1) 1/4 cup of Moong dal
2) 1/4 cup of Rice
3) 1/2 cup of Chopped Vegetables (carrots, beans, peas)
4) A pinch of Turmeric
5) Salt as per taste
6) 1 Tsp of Oil
7) 1/2 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
8) 1/2 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
9) 1 Dried red chili
10) A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
11) 10-12 Curry Leaves
12) Coriander Leaves for garnish
13) 1.5 cups of water
1) Rinse and soak moong dal and rice in water for about 30 minutes.
2) Drain the water. Combine moong dal, rice, and vegetables in a bowl. Add turmeric, salt and water.
3) Cook the mixture in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
4) Take a pan, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Once they begin to splutter, add hing, dried red chili, and curry leaves.
5) Pour this tempering over the cooked Khichdi.
6) Garnish with coriander leaves.
7) Serve your alluring Masala Khichdi hot.
This healthy comfort dish, full of nutrition and bursting with flavors, brings the culinary magnificence of Southern India to your bowl. Enjoy this tempting bowl of wellness!