Spiced Lentil Jain Poha
Here’s a hearty recipe that brings the beautiful flavors and wholesome goodness of South Indian Jain cuisine into one satisfying bowl – The Spiced Lentil Jain Poha. Being Jain, this dish is devoid of onion, garlic, and any root vegetables. Poha, or flattened rice, cooked with lentils and aromatic spices gives you a nutrient rich, delicious dish that fulfills your taste buds and nourishes your body. With only 150-200 calories per serving, this is a guilt-free comfort meal that you can indulge in any time of the day. Let’s delve into how you can serve your family this small parcel of yumminess.
1. 1 cup thin poha (flattened rice)
2. ¼ cup moong dal (split yellow lentils)
3. 1 shredded carrot
4. 2 green chillies, chopped
5. ½ tsp mustard seeds
6. ½ tsp turmeric powder
7. 1 tsp lemon juice
8. 1 tbsp oil
9. Salt – to taste
10. Coriander leaves for garnish
1. First, wash and soak the moong dal in water for 30 mins, then drain the water and keep it aside.
2. Rinse the poha until it’s softened, drain and set aside.
3. In a pan, heat the oil, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
4. Next, add chopped green chillies, shredded carrot and soaked moong dal to the pan. Stir for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add in the turmeric powder and salt, you can stir to combine.
6. Now, it’s time to add the poha. Mix well, ensuring every grain is coated with the spices.
7. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
8. Switch off the flame and sprinkle the lemon juice over the poha.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
10. Savor every spoonful of this aromatic and flavorful Spiced Lentil Jain Poha. Enjoy!
Note: Ensure to adjust the amount of green chillies according to your preference of spice. If you wish to add more protein, you could also incorporate some peanuts or cashews sautéed in minimal oil. This delightful bowl is perfect for a light dinner or a wholesome snack and truly brings the warmth of South Indian Jain kitchens into your home.