Healthy Traditional Oriya Veg Khichdi
This Healthy Traditional Oriya Veg Khichdi is a wonderful way to add exotic flavors and nutritious vegetables to your meal. It is a one-pot, savory porridge-style dish from the eastern part of India. A delightful mix of rice, lentils, and vegetables, this classical dish’s simplicity is what sets it apart. It is low in calories but high in protein and fiber content which makes it an excellent choice for health enthusiasts. The recipe is easy to prepare with common Indian kitchen ingredients and makes for a hearty lunch or dinner. Revel in the traditional Oriya flavors.
– 1/2 cup Basmati rice (100 kcal)
– 1/4 cup Moong dal (Yellow Lentil) (50 kcal)
– 1 Carrot, chopped (25 kcal)
– 1/2 cup Cauliflower florets (14 kcal)
– 1 small Potato, cubed (130 kcal)
– 2 Green chilies, slit (5 kcal)
– Salt to taste
– 2 tsp Olive Oil (80 kcal)
– 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
– 5-6 Curry leaves
– 1 Dry red chili
– 2 cups Water
1. Rinse the moong dal and rice together under running water till the water runs clear, and soak for 30 minutes.
2. Drain the water. In a pressure cooker, add rice, moong dal, chopped vegetables, salt, and water.
3. Cook it on medium heat for 3-4 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
4. In a small pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, and let them splutter. Then, add the curry leaves and dry red chili. Continue sauté until the leaves turn crisp.
5. Pour this tempering over the cooked khichdi and mix well before serving.
6. Serve hot and enjoy the flavorful and fulfilling Traditional Oriya Veg Khichdi.
Note: Adjust the quantity and variety of vegetables as per your preference and calorie requirement. You can also garnish it with chopped coriander leaves to enhance the flavor. This recipe has approximately 379 calories per serving, perfect for a healthy, balanced meal.