Refreshingly Light Bengali Dal with Steamed Rice
This simple and satisfying one-bowl recipe involves tossing together protein-rich lentils and comforting rice infused with a kick of Bengali spices. An embodiment of comfort food, it’s incredibly light on the palate and the perfect choice for those counting their calories. The addition of aromatic spices and no use of heavy creams or butter make it a healthy choice. So, whether you are a strict dieter or a food lover, whip up a bowl of this wholesome meal today and relish the burst of flavors in each bite!
1. Half a bowl of white rice.
2. One-fourth a bowl of red lentils.
3. One-fourth teaspoon mustard seeds.
4. One-fourth teaspoon cumin seeds.
5. Two cloves of garlic.
6. One green chili.
7. Salt, to taste.
8. One drop of oil for cooking.
9. Water, as required.
1. Wash the lentils and rice separately till the water runs clear.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the lentils, 1.5 cups of water, and salt. Cook until the lentils are softened.
3. In a small pan, heat the drop of oil and add mustard and cumin seeds.
4. As the seeds splutter, add the finely chopped garlic and green chili. Sauté until they turn a light brown. Be careful not to burn them.
5. Add this tempering to the cooked dal. Mix well and adjust salt if required.
6. In a separate pot, add the rice and double the water. Cook until the rice is soft and fluffy.
7. Serve the dal over the rice in a bowl.
This delicious bowl of Bengali Dal with Steamed Rice is not only full of flavors but also ensures a well-balanced meal that keeps you full longer, hence aiding in weight management. So, get a taste of Bengal in the comforts of your home with this easy and healthy recipe. Enjoy this mindful eating experience with each flavorful spoonful! This meal is vegan-friendly and gluten-free, too! Enjoy this 150 calorie Bengali delicacy today.