Super Simple Oriya Dalma
For those wanting to dive into the flavors of Oriya cuisine, this simple and nutritious dish is the perfect way to start. Bursting with the goodness of lentils and vegetables, this comforting dish is a staple of Jain households in Orissa. The fantastic blend of spices enriches the flavour profile, making it a wonderful meal. What’s more, this recipe aligns perfectly with your dietary needs – 101-200 calories only. So, why wait? Let’s get cooking this wholesome masterpiece!
1. 1/4 cup toor dal
2. 1 carrot (chopped)
3. 1 tomato (chopped)
4. 1 green chilli
5. 1 tsp Panch Phoran Masala
6. Salt to taste
7. 1 tablespoon oil
8. Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. Wash the toor dal thoroughly and soak it for 15 minutes.
2. Pressure cook the dal, carrot, tomato and green chilli with 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles.
3. Once the pressure settles down, open the cooker and mash the cooked dal and vegetables slightly.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add Panch Phoran Masala. Allow it to crackle.
5. Add the cooked dal and vegetable mixture to the pan. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add salt as per taste and mix well.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
8. Your Super Simple Oriya Dalma is ready to be enjoyed!
Note: While this recipe tries to adapt an authentic Oriya Dalma to suit Jain diets, you can always customize it to suit your preference by adding more vegetables or spices. Enjoy this traditional Orissa dish that warms the heart!